Monday, September 15, 2008

My first Monday alone

Today was Chris's first day back at work and it turned out he had "duty" today. For those of you who don't know what that means, it means he has to stay on the boat for 24 hours (this responsibility will repeat every 4 days for the duration of his enlistment) so faced with an entire day alone in my new home, I met up with a new navy wife friend and went out to see the island.
What I thought would be a relaxing trip around Guam turned out to be quite an adventure! The thing about this island is you stick out if you're not a local, so when off the base, you know who is military a mile away. The reason I say military is because this island is comprised of 3 groups: Chomorran (islanders), Japanese (tourists) and then Military (everyone else). There are two military bases on the island with a mix of people from all over the states so it's fun, when you see someone off base who is military, to hear their story and where they are from. It's kinda like a club - we all have the same thing in common. You can't help but wave when you pass a military while out around the island.
Anyway, back to the point of my story... while out and about, we noticed a rental car with an obvious member of our "military club" following our site stops. My new navy wife friend decided to invite him along to lunch and lunch turned into an entire day of adventures. This guy (his name eludes me) insisted on finding these caves listed on a tourist map. One thing he didn't understand, and something I should tell you, is that there are absolutely NO signs anywhere for many of these sites. So we spent the better part of the afternoon guessing the location of the caves. We did finally find it, accidentally, only for our new military friend to get a flat tire. So another 2 hours in the scorching heat fixing a rental car flat tire, then a trip to the air force base finally had us back on track. Right in time for dinner. So we had dinner back at the naval base where I listened to first hand stories of serving on the front line in Iraq. It turned out our military man worked for the Army and he had some interesting tales of his experience.
One thing I can say is that the people I've met here, so far, are from completely different worlds than what I have known. But it's all good. It'll keep things interesting.

1 comment:

ThePureBanana said...

I like strange stories from people. how funnt.